Thursday, May 31, 2007

Salvia and Religion

For my final paper, ill try and write about something a little less mundane. I recently read an article in Gentleman’s Quarterly on Salvia, a strong (the strongest natural known to man) yet legal hallucinogen that many refer to as “the Jesus drug.” Salvia is plant, found mainly in the forests of Oaxaca Mexico. Traditionally, it is taken along with magical mushrooms and used by shamans for religious purposes.
When I tried the drug, my mind expanded into a different reality. The ceiling of my room was overcome with patterns of a colorful kaleidoscope. I stepped outside my own body, and was able to ask myself (or my mind rather) questions of extreme importance—ex: what is the meaning of life? During the trip, was that I never actually was able to answer any of the important philosophical questions. Salvia makes you aware of an answer, but prevents the mind from articulating it. At one point in my trip, I felt that I knew the meaning of my existence.
In many ways, I feel religion serves a similar purpose as a Salvia trip. Understanding religion is impossible. There are clues (religious texts) that allow one to grasp the most basic aspects of religion, but understanding religion as a whole many times is a mere feeling. For me, Religion (like a Salvia trip) does not provide immediate answers to life’s questions, but reaffirms my belief that the answers exist in many forms.

I enjoyed class, learned a great deal, and enjoyed the way we approached religion as a class.

No comments: